Friday, October 31, 2008

moments of beauty

It's been a bit of a challenging week - too many doctor's visits for various unpleasant things, getting used to a puppy in the house, several birthdays to organise , daycare arrangements falling through due to ill carers - blah blah blah. But there have been some lovely moments and I am trying to relax and enjoy them.

The new puppy has been mostly a joy and amazingly gentle and well behaved for a baby of just 10 weeks who must be missing his mum and his brothers and sisters. He is managing without the ticking clock at night but still finds comfort in a hot water bottle. Taking him outside regularly (he mostly lives in the laundry) is a bit of a challenge with no front fence and a toddler in the house who shrieks "Take me too. Pick me up. Prickles!". Several times, upon having to hurry home from school drop off in case of accidents in the laundry, my heart has sunk and I have thought "Oh...what have I done?". But my little girl melts my heart when she puts her face down near Kipper's and says in her gentle voice "Hello sweetheart". And when I asked my big girl if she would be in charge of Kipper's water bowl, she added "And I can be in charge of love".

In the midst of all the crazy cleaning up and buying pet mince and organising of the household, I stopped for a few minutes yesterday and sat outside watching little Kipper gamble (gambol?) about on the grass like a lamb. I suddenly realised, I can get stressed about the extra work of having a puppy, but then I can let that stress melt away while I sit on the step and do nothing in the sunshine.

Other moments of joy this week........walking to work from the station this morning in the crush of commuters, I saw the back of a little girl, holding hands with her Daddy. She was wearing fairy wings and a tiara and holding a sparkly wand. It was such a beautiful sight. And the flowering jacaranda trees are just so breathtakingly gorgeous. They make the city look enchanted. Purple flowers fell on our heads like lavender snow yesterday when we were walking to school.

The clincher came tonight as I was walking home from the railway station. I looked up and saw a gorgeous golden crescent moon in the sky like a boat, hovering below the evening star. I watched it all the way home and it gave my soul a little boost.

5 comments:

Dee said...

I noticed that moon too tonight. Pets are so great for kids, the puppy stress wears off fast enough, I love your girls comments.

hester said...

Hello Dee. It's so nice when you drop by! You were quick tonight! I came back to see if what I wrote was too soppy and found I already had a comment!

Le said...

hello honey - that is lovely :) I love E's thoughfulness - well worth a few poops in places unexpected ...

See you Tuesday - le xoxooxoxo

Le said...

Hello H - did you see I awarded you - many hugs le

CT said...

Hey Hester.... isn't it like that with life in general? things (or people) that stress you usually are the same ones that give you the simple moments of calm and joy....


and then again there are some that just stress you! LOL!!!

hugs!